Monday 14 July
Tuesday 15 July
Wednesday 16 July
Year 8 District Cricket Finals at Scarborough with Mr Hopper.
Thursday 17 July
Whole School Reading
Friday 18 July
3.30pm SCHOOL CLOSES FOR SUMMER
Head of Department: Mr S Maltby
Part-time Staff: Mrs S Smith
Peripatetic Music Staff:
Mr B Butterfield (Woodwind)
Mr T Cross (Brass)
Mr P Tilley (Percussion)
Mrs S Smith (Keyboard & Piano)
Miss L McKay (Strings)
Mr L Boughton (Guitar)
Miss T Roberts (Singing)
Guitar Club - Monday Lunchtime
Choir - Tuesday Lunchtime
Orchestra - Thursday 3.30 - 4.30pm Drama Studio
• Classwork covers the requirements of the National Curriculum: performing, composing, listening and appraising. Students are taught using a variety of instruments and voices and are encouraged to use any instrument/voice they may be learning outside of the classroom. Singing is used as a medium for the teaching of rhythm, pitch, etc., as well as for enjoyment.
• The School Choir is open to all. In past years the Choir has performed in Bugsy Malone, Guys and Dolls, Oliver, Mikado, The Sound of Music, Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Rock Nativity, Grease and 'Annie' the musical. In 2006 we performed a world's first with 'The Jungle Book'. In 2008 we put on a production of 'The Wizard of Oz'. There is an annual "Cædmon Carols" in St. Hilda's Church, which has become very popular with parents and friends of the School.
• The School Orchestra/Band continues to provide a base for instrumental beginners, and all students who play instruments are encouraged to attend. Students can learn an instrument with the County Peripatetic Team who visit the School every week.
• Pupils can also play in the orchestras and bands at the Whitby and Scarborough Music Centres.
• The School Orchestra/Band enters the Whitby & Eskdale Festival of the Arts. Students are encouraged to enter individually for the various classes in the Whitby & Eskdale Festival of the Arts.
• The Orchestra tours our feeder primary schools during the summer term.
• Associated Board Examinations are seen as a good guide to development, and we therefore encourage instrumentalists to take them. Entry can be gained through the School. Extra tuition can be arranged, by the department, in the areas of Aural Ability and Theory of Music for the required examinations, especially Grade 5. There is a special after school Theory Club.
• In May 2010 we performed 'Pinafore Pirates', in December 2011 we performed 'Dracula Rock Show' and in May 2013 we performed 'Bugsy'.
• Choir and Steel Pans take place during lunchtimes.
• The Music Department also maintains close links with St. Hilda's Church Choir, the Dalesmen Singers, the Tuesday Singers, Whitby Operatic Society, St. Hilda's Festival Chorus, and the 'Whitby Young Musicians' Trust'.
• Past Caedmon pupils now play in the Scarborough and St Hilda's Festival Orchestras.
• In 2007 The Choir and Orchestra visited Belgium.
• As part of this year's enrichment we have had a visit from 'African Drummers' from the Sage at Gateshead.
• There was joint Food Technology and Music tour to Northern France in May 2010.
• We have a regular visit from St Hilda's School, Buenos Aires when we do some combined musical items.
• During 2012/13 we are proposing to do Bugsy Malone at the annual show.